Tuesday, August 4, 2009

To begin...


It is high time I created a record of my family and our unschooling journey. We have been unschooling now for three years! In case you are unfamiliar with unschooling, it is a journey of life learning--following your passions from inside, rather than following what an outside authority is telling you to "learn." I've always loved discovering and learning. For me, it is the juice in life. I feel this is true for people in general. However, due to the pressures of the modern world, and our "drive to get ahead", learning has been reduced to a set of curriculum objectives to ensure successful testing. In my experience, the longer one is in this kind of environment, the further one is pulled away from the love of learning. I wasn't sure about this unschooling stuff, so I have stayed quiet now for a good three years. I've been observing the validity of this unschooling experiment and will continue to do so. However, at this stage of the experiment, I see nothing but amazing results. My family is excited about life and the process of discovering. Our days are less pressure filled. My kids are more able to respond to their own life, rather than to an artificial set of dictums created to organize a large body of people (i.e. school.) By the way, three years ago when I first heard about unschooling, I laughed out loud. Literally. It sounded so absurd. Now nothing else makes sense but unschooling. Having said that, should the day come when one or more of my three children want to go back to school, so be it. It is their life--not mine.

2 comments:

  1. You go girl! :0)

    Just kidding. It just sounded like the perfect response for your awesome testimonial. I'm so proud of you! Keep on keepin' on! You are a true example to me and I miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete